Cerfacs is Qualiopi certified for its training activities
Deadline for registration: 15 days before the starting date of each training
Duration : 1 day / (7 hours)
Before signing up, you may wish to report us any particular constraints
(schedules, health, unavailability…) at the following e-mail address : firstname.lastname@example.org
In November 2021, 100% of participants were satisfied or very satisfied
(results collected from 6 respondents out of 7 participants, a response rate of 85%)
CANTERA is an open source software, comparable to the CHEMKIN or COSILAB simulation tools, currently used for applications including used for applications including combustion, detonations, plasmas… Participants will get an overview of what it is possible to do with CANTERA, from the installation of the code with insights on its architecture and underlying methods to hands-on sessions enabling script generation and testing.
Objective of the training
This training session provides the participants with an introduction to CANTERA, a suite of object-oriented software tools for problems involving chemical kinetics, thermodynamics, and/or transport processes.
On completion of this course, you will be able to :
- nstall CANTERA software,
- to use the Python interface of CANTERA,
- to program your own kinetics simulations that use small or reduced reaction mechanisms,
- to generate a CANTERA input file from CHEMKIN input files,
- to compare different chemistries.
The training is an alternation of theoretical presentations and practical work. A multiple choice question allows the final evaluation. The training room is equiped with computers, the work can be done in sub-groups of two people.
This training session is for engineers, conbustionists, physicists, and students who wish to learn how to use an efficient and free software for problems involving chemical kinetics.
Prerequisites and registration
Firstly, in order to follow this course, you need to have:
- knowledge of Unix commands.
- basic knowledge of Python.
- level B2 of CEFR (training can take place in French or English depending on the audience).
To verify that the prerequisites are satisfied, the following questionnaires must be completed. You need to get at least 75% of correct answers in order to be authorized to follow this training session. If you don’t succeed it, your subscription will not be validated. You only have two chances to complete them.
Questionnaire 1 : https://forms.gle/xPMXz2Snc7KBQiPG8
Questionnaire 2 : https://forms.gle/tgfKkoSy1H6SPhg86
Secondly, you need to have followed the online course “Fundamentals of Turbulent Combustion” organized by Cerfacs or at least live lessons on combustion.
After completing the pre-requisite tests and obtaining at least 75% correct answers, you can register:
Referent teacher: Eleonore RIBER
- Trainees/PhDs/PostDocs : 112 € excl. tax
- CERFACS shareholders/CNRS/INRIA : 280 € excl. tax
- Public : 560 € excl. tax
(From 9h00 to 12h30 and from 14h00 to 17h30)
- 9h00-11h00 : What is Cantera ? History – presentation – a bit about the governing eqautions – Structure of the code and Python interface presentation
- 11h00-12h30: Organization of a script – First Hands on
- Hands-on (Equilibrium – Clossed Vessels – Free Flame – Counterflow Flame)
Evaluation of learning
A final exam will be conducted during the training.