Implementation and use of Lattice Boltzmann Method
Cerfacs is Qualiopi certified for its training activities
Duration : 1 day / (6 hours)
In May 2019, 100% of participants were very satisfied
(results collected from 7 respondents out of 8 participants, a response rate of 87%)
The approach called Lattice Boltzmann Method (LBM) is based on the resolution of the Boltzmann equation and not the Navier-Stokes ones (to notice: Navier-Stokes is an approximation of Boltzmann). LBM is based on gas kinetics theory; to obtain the macroscopic behavior of the fluid we work on a smaller physical scale (called mesoscopic) compared to conventional approaches.
This paradigm shift has several advantages. Boltzmann equations are simpler than the Navier-Stokes equations, this means a more compact solver, easier to write and maintain. Moreover arithmetic operations to be performed are local, this implies a high efficiency on parallel computers. But what makes this approach very promising for the future is its ability to handle very complex geometries without any difficulty.
Objective of the training
This training aims to provide basic knowledge in the implementation of an LBM solver.
On completion of this training course, you will be able to :
- Understand the different algorithms present in a basic LBM code,
- Implement these algorithms in a simplified platform,
- Set up and simulate academic test cases not provided in the training.
The training is an alternation of theoretical presentations and practical work. A multiple choice question allows the final evaluation. The training room is equipped with computers, the work can be done in sub-groups of two people.
Referent teacher: Jean-François BOUSSUGE
This training session is for engineers, physicists, computer scientists and numerical analysts who want to start learning LBM.
In order to follow this course, you need to:
- Know Unix commands.
- Have basic knowledge of C programming.
- Know numerical flow simulations.
- Have level B2 of CEFR because the training can take place in French or English depending on the audience.
In order to verify that the prerequisites are satisfied, the following questionnaires must be completed. You need to get at least 75% of correct answers in order to be authorized to follow this training session. If you don’t succeed it, your subscription will not be validated. You only have two chances to complete it.
Questionnaire 1 : https://goo.gl/forms/0pVpY56riihNUG6V2
Questionnaire 2 : https://goo.gl/forms/CNVWTQkIQJXaxsTo2
After completing the pre-requisite tests and obtaining at least 75% correct answers, you can register: here
Before signing up, you may wish to report us any particular constraints (schedules, health, unavailability…) at the following e-mail address : email@example.com
Deadline for registration: 15 days before the starting date of each training
- Trainees/PhDs/PostDocs : 96 € excl. tax
- CERFACS shareholders/CNRS/INRIA : 240 € excl. tax
- Public : 480 € excl. tax
- Conceptual understanding of LBM
- Derivation of the LBM equation
- Numerical aspects of the LBM equation (stream and collide approach)
Simple boundary condition
- Incorporate a forcing term
- Study of a simple LBM solver
- Application to academic test cases
Flow past a cylinder
Lid driven cavity
Double shear layer
Evaluation of learning
A final exam will be conducted during the training.